It is no deep secret that people in the United States care a lot about their teeth. At least 99.% have reported that they think their smile is important to their social and romantic lives. About three-quarters of all people in the nation think that having a bad smile will hurt them professionally. One of the best things you can do to keep your teeth look their best is to have a relationship with a local family dental care clinic but there are other things you can do on your own.
- Start out with a visit to your family dental center. Make an appointment to have a professional cleaning done. This should be done every six months but if it has been a while is a good way to start your new dental hygiene regimen. There are a lot of problems that can be prevented by seeing your dentist and your dental hygienist on a regular basis. In addition to giving your mouth a thorough cleaning, they can also do a full screening for a number of common problems.
- Get the best toothbrush for you. If you start your dental routines with less than great toothbrushes, you are going to get results that are above par. In clinical testing, electronic toothbrushes have been proved to get more plaque and food debris than traditional, manual toothbrushes. Newer electric toothbrushes do more than just clean, they can be great for whitening as well. If you do not want to take that step, it is important to get manual toothbrushes with soft bristles. A lot of people think that they need the firm ones but they can do damage to your gums.
- Brush your teeth in the morning and at night. Many people think this is pretty much a given but it is not. Your teeth need to be brushed at least twice a day so the plaque does not have the chance to harden and become tartar. When you brush your teeth on a regular basis, it will also make them look better and more white.
- Watch how you brush. Family dental hygienists and dentists will tell you that you need to take care with the way you do your brushing. The brush itself should be placed at a 45-degree angle. You should apply just enough pressure to make the gums whiten a bit. Your strokes should be short. Focus on small areas, such as a tooth or two.
- Make sure you take time to floss every day. As great as brushing is, you will not get everything you need to get when you only brush. This allows plague, tartar, and bacteria to linger under your gum line. Take some time to floss twice a day and your teeth will thank you for it.
- If you smoke, you should stop. This is one of the worst things you can do to your teeth A number of cosmetic dentists and family dental clinics will not do any whitening procedures unless a person has quit. The stains you get from this habit can sneak into your enamel. Worse, this can do a lot of damage to your gums, leading to problems such as receding gum lines.
- Be careful about what you eat and drink. Beverages such as coffee, soda, tea, and red wine are known culprits. Eating citrus fruits or other food with a high acid content can also be bad for your teeth. You can have the superficial stains taken off by the dental hygienist but there are things you can do at home. If you can, brush your teeth after eating or drinking the offending stuff. If you cannot do that, rinse with water. That can help.
- Get enough water. It has been said that as much as 20% of the population walks around dehydrated and by the time you feel thirsty, you are. It is often easy to overlook the link between physical health and dental health but the healthier you are, the better your teeth will look. Keeping your mount moist is also a good way to prevent tooth decay.
Few things speak about your appearance like your smile. These tips can help keep it looking its best.