Most of the world knows that Americans are very concerned with the look of their teeth. The problem is that many people in the United States are missing at least one tooth. Almost 70% of all Americans who are between 35 and 44 years old are missing at least one tooth. They lose teeth to accidents, failed root canals tooth decay and gum disease. There are about three million people who have at least one dental implant. Every year, about a half a million people join those ranks. Many dental offices recommend dental implants because they are the closest thing people can get to natural teeth.
Dental implants have been around for a very long time. Mayan women had pieces of shell that resembled tooth pounded into their jaw. The earliest evidence of dental implants dates back to 600 AD, when the shell practice was used. Dental implant technology has advance significantly since then. People who are missing teeth do not have to endure something like was suffered by the Mayan women. Today’s dental implants have a success rate of more than 98%.
If you have gone to one of the area dental offices and had one or more missing teeth replaced with dental implants, there are ways to make your recovery go smoother.
- Leave the area alone. Dental surgery leaves the impacted area sensitive and sore afterwards. Do what you can to not touch or otherwise bother the region of your mouth where the implant was inserted. It will most likely feel tender, sore and just not like the rest of your mouth. Just leave the area alone. Most dental office often offer patients pain medication to take after the dental implant surgery. Take that as directed.
- Watch what you eat and drink. You may want to avoid things that are very hot or cold or hard. Try to not gargle or keep liquids in your mouth for at least a few days. You will most likely be more comfortable eating softer items for a bit as your mouth heals. If you can, chew on the other side of your mouth. Do what you can to clean that area after you eat.
- Take it easy for a few days. Dental surgery is surgery and you may be tired afterwards. This is especially true if you have intravenous sedation, which may stay with you for as long as 24 hours. Get some soft food and binge watch some television the day of your surgery.
- Do not be upset by any swelling or bleeding you experience. A little bleeding and some swelling is normal after a dental implant surgery. You can apply ice or use packs of frozen vegetables on your face if you think it looks swollen. This should be very minimal and will only last a few days at the most. If you have a lot of bleeding, you should call your dental office and get their opinion. If you have any concerns after your dental implant surgery, the people at dental offices will be happy to help. An excessive amount of bleeding may be an indication of a problem that will require your oral surgeon’s attention.
- So what you can to keep the area clean. You will most likely not want to brush the area but your oral surgeon should give you a special mouthwash to help you keep the area clean after your surgery. You will be instructed about how long you should use it but most people need it for about seven days.
- Get back into your oral hygiene regimen as soon as you are healed. Your dental implants are the closest thing to natural teeth on the market. They are impervious to decay but they can become covered in bacteria, which can impact your gums and the other teeth in your mouth. It is important to brush, floss and use a good mouthwash every day. All dental offices recommend people brush their teeth after every meal and floss at least once a day.
Dental implants are great replacement teeth. They look and feel just like natural teeth and can restore your smile to how it looked before you lost any teeth.air max air max air max